|Wednesday nights||7pm to 8pm Eucharistic Adoration followed by night prayer and the Rosary. This is live streamed on the parishes Facebook page|
|Tuesday for the cocooners and those who are vulnerable||10:00am followed with rosary.|
The Irish for Templeglantine is “Teampall an Ghleanntáin”, which means “the church of the little glen”. Templeglantine is locally called “Inchebaun”, which, when translated, means ‘the White River meadow’. Templeglantine is a chapel village, having grown up around the church, which was built in 1829 during Fr James Cleary’s time as Parish Priest. At the time, Templeglantine was part of the parish of Monagea. This is one of the oldest churches in the diocese still in use today.
According to the inscription on the church wall, the church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity in 1829. The Baptismal font is presumed to date from 1829 also, as are the holy water fonts in the porch of the church. The porch itself was built in the 1930s following a donation received from parishioners who had emigrated to America. According to local historian Tadhg O’Maolcatha, by the mid-fifties, the church bell, which was mounted on the western gable, was taken down for safety reasons, and housed in a new free-standing belfry in the church grounds.
Mrs Bridget Kiely (nee Sexton) of Glenshesk donated the bell to the parish earlier in the century. The old bell, which it replaced, was sent to the missions in Africa. In front of the church there is a large stone statue of the Virgin Mary that seems to be welcoming the people into the church. This statue was erected in the summer of 1995 and depicts Mary as a loving mother with head bowed and arms slightly outstretched in a welcoming and caring manner. It was sculpted from Limestone and is the work of Newbridge sculptor Annette McCormack.
On the main door of the church there is a plaque to the memory of Ann Connellan who died in 1969. John J., Mrs Joan Leahy and Michael Connellan erected it. On one of the seats of the church there is a small plaque that states that Michael Quirke was the principal donor of seating in the church. The seats were donated to the memory of his wife Julia. There is a stained glass window of St Patrick at the back of the church. There is a stained glass window of St Brigid near the Confessional box. Near this window there is a statue of the Sacred Heart and a shrine to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. On the stairs of the gallery at the back of the church there is a plaque to Tom Sexton who was parish clerk for more than 50 years who died on December 14 1996. In the gallery there is a stained glass window of Jesus gathering/minding his flock. On the right of the nave, there is a wooden medallion of the Holy Trinity. There is a statue to St Patrick on the right while on the left there is a statue of St Theresa of Liseux. A glass depiction of the Millennium Logo of the Diocese of Limerick is on a door to the right of the altar. Behind the High Altar there is a stained glass window of the Holy Spirit and the Body & Blood. To the left of the altar there is a statue of St Joseph to the memory of John Dillane and family.
On the right there is a statue of Mary and Child, which is to the memory of Mary (William) Dore and family. Daniel Dillane of New York donated both statues. Within the church, the Stations of the Cross date from around 1946 when they replaced the original Stations of the Cross. The church also has a silver chalice that dates from 1796. Mr and Mrs Burke donated the chalice to the church.
The Burkes may have been from the parish of Monagea, as it was another 70 years before Templeglantine parish came into existence.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Fr James Galvin
1985 – 1986
Fr John Fitzgibbon
1976 – 1978
Fr John Houlihan
Fr Daniel Daly
Fr John J. Kelly
1924 – 1943
There are two graveyards in the parish of Templeglantine. A new graveyard was opened behind the church in Templeglantine in September 1983.
Before that, the only graveyard in the parish had been in the grounds of the old church in Templeglantine West. Many Tournafulla families had their burial plots here. Burials still take place in this graveyard. It is believed that the graveyard has been in use for around 800 years. The oldest headstone that we came across dated from 1866 and was in memory of Michael Gallwey RM.
View more images of Most Holy Trinity Church of Templeglantine here